Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer WIFD - day one

Since I'm in my Sunday best today, I'm afraid the rest of the week is going to be all downhill from here! ;-)

Sunday best

The sleeveless blouse I'm wearing today is my third version of the Sorbetto top. I eked it out of some cream-colored, twill-woven rayon remnants I found at a garage sale (yes, I have been doing a lot of garage saling lately -- a lot for me, anyway). I hemmed the ruffles with my rolled hem foot and the perfectionist in me loves how beautifully neat the stitches look! The rayon was slightly sheer, and since I didn't want to have to wear a camisole underneath, I self-lined it. This cut out the need to bind the armholes, but I did bind the neckline because of the ruffle.

I made my skirt several years ago from Simplicity 3841. I have always loved this fabric -- it reminds me of Paris in the 1950s. :)

And now to end, a prudent reminder to myself as I strive to dress in a feminine way: "Do not let your adornment be merely outward -- arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel -- rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." -- I Peter 3:3-4 (emphasis mine)

Other WIFD participants:
A Joyful Handmaiden
A High Calling
Pursuing the Calling

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful Laura! I'm still wanting to learn to sew with you, but things have been kind of crazy lately! Perhaps when things calm down in the fall we can plan some days to get together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful! And I love that shirt. Does the pattern come with the ruffle option or did you work that one out on your own? You look nice and cool, too, which, if it's anywhere near as hot there as it is here (we had heat indices of 120+ here on Friday), is lovely.

    Elizabeth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the ruffles, Laura! You sew beautifully, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruffles and pleats...not normally things I'd go for, but that outfit is stunning! Fresh and feminine - I only wish the British weather right now was warm enough to wear such clothes. The belt is a stylist's dream - good choice! I might have to rethink my views on said ruffles and pleats...

    Jafion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I understand how busy the summertime can be! I'm looking forward to getting together in the fall, Lord willing!

    Elizabeth, thank you so much! No, the pattern is pretty basic; I added the ruffles on my own. It was quite simple though. I just measured how long and wide I wanted the ruffles to be, then doubled the length and added a little bit of seam allowance to the width. I made the three bottom ruffles extend 1" under the previous ruffle, although next time I'd make it more. It has been quite hot here, so I am grateful for natural fiber clothing! :-P

    Thank you so much for the compliment, Lisa!

    Jafion, wow, you must be having some cool July weather! Have fun experimenting with ruffles and pleats, if you decide to go down that road (it's a fun one!)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love that outfit! Between that skirt and the nursing "swing" dress you sewed, I think you choose the prettiest cotton prints! Just lovely!

    Katrina
    www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I love the idea of WIFD! I am going to do something "feminine" for my trip out to a friend's ranch to feed a little calf named "Dizzy". Maybe a ribbon in my hair, cowgirl boots, and a crisp cotton gingham shirt. Thank you, Laura, for your inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Katrina and Singing River! (Your cowgirl ensemble sounds quite cute!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete