Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy birthday to me

Yesterday I turned 27 and we had a lovely birthday dinner in the evening. My mom set a beautiful table with vintage china, pink linens, and a rose bouquet. I love this vintage salt and pepper shaker which belonged to my Great-Grandma Irene. You have to take the strawberry off its hook, and then the salt or pepper comes out of holes in the silver leaves.

Vintage strawberry salt and pepper shakers

I have been avoiding desserts in order to shed the remaining pregnancy pounds, so I thought long and hard about what would be worth the caloric indulgence as a birthday dessert. ;) I decided to make tiramisu since it's one of my favorite desserts and I have never made it from scratch before. I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe and it was delicious -- SO rich and flavorful. Yum. That's a once-a-year treat.

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! :) I love those salt and pepper shakers ... they look like they belong in a museum! Absolutely delightful!

    Blessings,
    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I agree with Luci, the salt and pepper shakers are great - so unique.

    I think a birthday has to be an excuse to have a dessert - I've been dieting since Christmas and not having any desserts except fruit, but you *have* to indulge on your birthday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! (We have the same birthday! I turned 17 yesterday. :)

    Those salt and pepper shakers are so pretty! And your birthday dessert sounds delicious. Mmmm. I had Mocha Chocolate Chip Cheesecake, also a once a year treat. :)

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the birthday wishes, ladies! (And happy birthday to you, too, Ashley!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest salt and pepper shaker ever. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so in love with that salt & pepper shaker! ;o) It's the BEST ever! ;o)

    ReplyDelete