This is a recipe I like to make in the spring, whenever asparagus is coming into season. The ingredients may sound odd, but it's truly delicious! (By the way, this is called a sandwich, but I eat it with a knife and fork.)
Asparagus and Cannellini Bean Open-Face Sandwich
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 14 oz. can of cannellini beans
- 2/3 c. half-and-half (for non-American readers, this is a 50/50 mixture of milk and cream)
- 4-8 oz. young asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- salt and pepper
Poach asparagus spears 3-4 minutes or steam until just tender.
Toast bread. Place asparagus on top of toast, then spoon bean mixture over top (or vice versa, like I did). Serve immediately.