Sunday, September 14, 2014

And we're off!


homeschool
[first day of school]

Just like that, we started our "official" homeschooling at the beginning of the month. I'm doing three subjects with Edmund right now -- Bible, reading/phonics, and math/numbers. For Bible, we read a chapter each day, work on memorizing one verse each week, and learn a new hymn or psalm each month (Lavinia does this with us and enjoys it, too). For reading, I am using "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and reading various books aloud, as time permits (right now we are on "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, having already finished the first two books in the series earlier in the year). I haven't quite gotten my act together for math yet (planning to order a workbook at some point), but I've had him do some counting and sorting activities and practice writing numbers.

He thinks it is all simply wonderful.

11 comments:

  1. All the best in your homeschooling! You're doing a good job when your children enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! It certainly encourages me to keep at it when my kids are asking to do "more school." :)

      Delete
    2. I've got one in 1st and the other in 3rd. We did reading in 100 easy lessons too - blessings!

      Delete
  2. We're using the "100 Lessons" reading book too. Although, it's come to a slight standstill since distraction and giving up too easily are the main problems with the one who is supposed to be learning, and it certainly takes longer than 20 minutes... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm assuming as the lessons get harder, it will become more difficult to get my little guy to stay on task! So far, so good, though -- I'm feeling blessed because he really *wants* to do his lessons; otherwise I'm not sure I'd have the heart to make it happen each day. Fingers crossed his good attitude continues... :)

      Delete
    2. It certainly helps when they are anxious to learn and it's fun. I'm glad it's off to a good start though. That makes it easier for all involved.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely, LK!!

    (I'm sure I've told you at some point of my distaste for Farmer Boy -- the Wilders seem pretty pampered and soft after reading all the hardships the Ingallses went through!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LG! I did not know of your distaste for "Farmer Boy." I always liked it for the descriptions of many delicious-sounding foods prepared and eaten. :) We're on to "The Hobbit" now, which I think Edmund is enjoying a bit more, since he begs and begs for the next chapter.

      Delete
  4. Blessings to you as you begin this wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete