Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas vignettes


Christmas vignette

This is our first year having a real, live Christmas tree. It's an absolutely gorgeous Frasier fir tree that is so tall and full and smells wonderful!

Christmas vignette

Douglas had to snip a few of the lowest branches off, so I have been using the extra greenery for decorating around the house. I bought an advent wreath frame on clearance last year after Christmas, and this year I've been able to fill it in with fir branches, dried orange slices, and pinecones.

Christmas vignette

A little Nutcracker vignette. It's the only use my poor pointe shoes are getting these days!

Christmas vignette

A Jesse tree in our dining room, decorated by little hands.

Christmas vignette

Winter-y/Christmas books for reading. I love the vintage Little Golden book I found at a used bookstore for a dollar!

Christmas vignette

Douglas, the resident gardener, is forcing some narcissus bulbs. I don't think they'll be quite ready by Christmas Day, but they'll be a welcome whiff of spring come January. (EDIT: I was totally wrong. They were blooming by Christmas! Those flowers grow fast!)

7 comments:

  1. I love it! I feel as though I've stepped into your living room (or do you call it a parlor?) :) with the pictures you've shared. So, so very beautiful and such cozy atmosphere! I must confess though that now you have me wanting to make dried orange slices. ;) They add such a pretty touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheri! You almost have stepped into my living room; just imagine a bit more mess that the photos somehow don't show. ;-) The orange slices were so easy to make because I have a dehydrator, but I imagine you could do it in the oven on the very lowest temperature, too!

      Delete
  2. So lovely! Your tree is just gorgeous -- and I must agree with Cheri, the orange slices are marvelous.

    I grew up with an artificial tree, but Pablo and I have purchased live trees every year since our marriage. They're so wonderful! Every whiff of evergreen is just heavenly. Though this is the last year we try to incorporate toddlers into the tree decoration... ;-)

    I've been a bit lazy about Christmas this year -- you've inspired me to enjoy the season a bit more!

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! I understand the difficulty with toddlers... Edmund was so eager to help, but if I gave him any ornament that was remotely breakable he usually dropped it, and we have hardwood floors... I have a few ornaments that are needing some attention from the glue gun! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, how pretty! I love how the tall tree shows off your lovely ceiling! I've been looking all over the internet for some Jesse tree information. We did it growing up, but all the verses and symbols have been lost in a move. If you've seen anything on the web, I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, thank you! I bought our Jesse Tree ornaments (and an accompanying booklet with verses for each day's reading) from the Etsy seller Inspired Traditions, although it looks like she's already closed up shop for the holidays for this year.

      Delete
    2. Oh, thanks so much Laura! That looks like just what I have been looking for! I bookmarked her page for next year. :-) Thanks again!

      Delete