Monday, January 7, 2013

"Snowy Midnight" Sencha blouse


"Snowy Midnight" Sencha blouse

I made up a wearable muslin of Colette Patterns' Sencha blouse last month, out of some dark blue polyester crepe left over from one of my early sewing projects. Nowadays I wouldn't choose polyester, as it's rather annoying to sew with, but this leftover length was just sitting in my stash, so why not use it up? It gave me the chance to try out the fit and style. It feels a little loose; I've probably lost a bit more postpartum weight from the time I cut it out in November until now.

"Snowy Midnight" Sencha blouse

As I mentioned, polyester is not particularly fun to sew with, so next time I would choose rayon, silk, or a drape-y cotton. Another note for next time: I will hand-sew the hem, as the machine-sewn hem doesn't drape very well. Otherwise, I really like the style -- the keyhole neckline with ties is sweetly retro. Douglas gave me a new pleated skirt for Christmas, which goes perfectly with the top. Love it!

8 comments:

  1. The blouse looks very nice, and I like the skirt too - perfect combination, you look elegant and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty Laura :) I don't like polyester, but sometimes as a wearable muslin is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! And, I love your hair! Do you do anything special, or is it naturally curlyish? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! :) Janel, my hair is mostly straight-ish but I curled it with a straightening iron. (Sounds ironic, but you can find tutorials on YouTube.) The curls last really well, even into the next day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that done, and have attempted it...but mine never turn out quite like that. Might have to work on it. :) And your skirt is so pretty...very vintage and lovely.

      Delete
    2. Oh, haha, my hairstyles almost never turn out how I envision them, either. Practice makes perfect, which I don't really have the time to do! For what it's worth, I think for this style I split my hair in the back and brought it over my shoulders, then curled each side away from my face, except for the very front area framing my face, which I curled toward my face (that gives it the '40s look instead of the '70s look). Usually when I use a straight iron, only the ends get curled but I am growing out bangs so I have some shorter pieces around my face that stay curlier. I brushed it together the meld the curls and there we go. I hope that helps... I'm definitely not a hair expert. :)

      Delete