Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reading with Little Ones



Winter is a good time to snuggle up on the couch with the kids and do some fun reading. Lavinia is not as interested as Edmund yet, obviously, but if I give her something to suck or chew on, she will generally sit beside me contentedly while I read aloud several books.

One of my favorites is a book I had as a child, A Great Big Ugly Man Came Up and Tied His Horse to Me. My copy was pretty beat up, but I found one in pristine condition at a library book sale many years ago and saved it for my future kids. Now this one is getting beat up, but that's OK. It's full of fun and silly nonsense verses, but I've always loved the illustrations the most. Wallace Tripp has a wonderful, humorous, whimsical style that will capture kids' attention, but is also amusing to adults. There are humorous details scattered throughout the pages that I never picked up on as a child, but now as I read the book to my kids I can enjoy them. (For instance, he seems to have a "thing" for English composers?! There's actually a caricature of Ralph Vaughan Williams and Edward Elgar on the very last page, worked into the illustration, that I only recognized two years ago when I was reading the book to Edmund. Wow.) Children's books that can simultaneously entertain both kids and adults are the absolute best!

I looked on Amazon, where even used versions were selling on the pricey side, so you might instead want to check your local library to see if you can get your hands on this great book!

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Laura,

    I thought you'd like to know that you made it onto my list of nominees for the "One Lovely Blog Award"! Your blog came to mind right away when I sat down to draw up my list of people to pass along the award to, and you can see the full scoop here: http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog/?p=3449

    God bless you!
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny/weird that Morgen just came home with this book that she found at half price books...in excellent condition. I mentioned that it looked like a book your dad would read! Did he read it to you? Love ya, Aunt Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good for Morgen for finding a copy! I'm sure dad did read it to us. The poetry is right up his alley. :)

    ReplyDelete