Saturday, May 14, 2011

the "Emily Rose" skirt


tiered summer skirt

So named because it is a copycat version of a skirt owned by my sweet young friend, Emily Rose. She kindly let me borrow the original for a few days so I could see how it was constructed and take some measurements. I tailored it to my own size and height (being 5'10" means that most maxi skirts and dresses sold in stores are not really maxi). I also added a 2-inch elastic waistband covered with jersey knit -- not because I have any baby news to share, but because I am all about those "transitional" pieces that work for multiple seasons of a mom's life! I figure I can at least wear this through the first half of pregnancy when God sends us another little one.

This is one of the quickest projects I've done in a while -- from drafting the pattern to finishing the skirt was just 24 hours. (My sweet husband even got in on the act and drafted the third tier for me. It's the best-looking one, isn't it?) ;-) The skirt is constructed of circular flounces cut on the bias that gradually increase in size. The "tucks" are a result of lapping the edges of each flounce, rather than sewing "right sides together" as one would normally sew a seam. I was very blessed by my good friend Leah, who let me come over to her house and use her serger to make rolled hems on the tiers. It was so quick and easy!

The fabric is a linen blend I got for a great price at Hancock Fabrics last fall when shopping for fabrics for our medieval costumes. I ended up not using this particular length for our costumes, but it was perfect for this skirt.

So thanks again to Emily Rose, Douglas, and Leah for your help! I couldn't have done it without you. ;-)

15 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I just sent you a note about it, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour of the skirt but especially love the way you wear it with a crisp, white peasant blouse, a statement necklace and a cool belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I do lots of sewing but am tied to my patterns. I so admire you who strike out on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very nice! Reminds me of the Amy Butler Barcelona skirt pattern, which I've been admiring lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work, Laura! It's very flattering and pretty. I've admired skirts like this for awhile, but I've never had success with getting circular flounces to gently flair... They always seem too full. Yours are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The skirt is lovely! A more detailed tutorial would be lovely, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Amazing work. I know you are very experienced seamstress, but what would you say would be a first project for a beginner? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your kind comments, ladies! :)

    April, I did toy with the idea of making a tutorial, but I tend to do things in a less-than-precise manner, so I get intimidated by the process of explaining in great detail. :-P I sent Cheri some info on how I made the skirt so if you're interested too, I'd be glad to pass that along.

    Sarah, I would recommend something with straight seams and nothing too fancy, like a simple pillowcase or shopping bag. If you are itching to make a garment, then a half-apron or elastic-waist skirt would be doable, too! Let me know if you ever have any sewing questions and I would be glad to help out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute!! I have been wanting a skirt like this for a while. Would you consider doing another post with a little more construction information?
    Blessings,
    Madeline
    www.flameinthedarkness.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will share this with my daughter (once she has graduated, or it may draw her away from her studies). She sews without a pattern and learned this as a young girl experimenting with doll clothes.You are an inspiration (and I see, a fellow Anglophile) from the motorcar post!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love the info you sent to Cheri! :-) I would really like to have some more long, non-frumpy skirts in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Madeline, Jacqueline, and April! Madeline, I will see what I can do about posting a little more info on the construction soon.

    Jacqueline, yes, I am definitely a fellow Anglophile! :-) I'm sure your daughter would have no troubles making her own version of the skirt.

    April, I tried to send you a message via FB but it wouldn't go through since you're not on the new messages program, so I sent it via e-mail instead. I have your e-mail from several summers ago so if you've changed it since then, let me know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I love this so much! I'm trying to design ruffle skirt right now. It's my first time to design a garment, so I have no idea what I'm doing.:) (maybe that's a blessing?)
    Maybe I could make this skirt...not sure what a circular flounce is, but I love the look!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Laura--
    Didn't know you were blogging--love that skirt! I've enjoyed keeping up with your mama via email:)

    Blessings,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi!
    This is Alicia Joy from ajoyworthhaving. I just wanted to tell you that I've nominated you to receive the Most Inspiring Blogger Award! You can read all about it here:
    http://ajoyworthhaving.blogspot.com/2013/04/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html
    Thanks for being so inspiring, and keep up the good work!

    Alicia Joy

    ReplyDelete