Tuesday, March 29, 2016

He's here!

Sooner than expected, we were able to welcome our newest son, Rafe David, into our arms! He was born at 9:09 AM on Sunday, March 6, weighing 7 lbs., 8 oz. and measuring 20 inches long. He was the earliest of my babies, born at 37 weeks and four days, but obviously none the worse for it with his healthy weight and size!

[Sweet Rafe at one day old]

Douglas took the following week off of work and I was able to have a nice lie-in with Rafe, resting from the birth, bonding, and nursing around the clock. I even had time to do some reading(!) -- I re-read Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson, which makes for very pleasant post-partum reading material.

[Three weeks old -- getting quite a bit chubbier!]

All of the older siblings are over the moon about having a baby brother to cuddle, especially Edmund. I'm constantly fielding the request: "Can I hold him?" And if one child gets a "yes," the other two will start clamoring, "I want to hold him, too!"

[All the children dressed up for Easter]

It's been a sweet three weeks of getting to know Rafe and adjusting to life with a newborn again. I've always wanted to have a spring baby, to watch our new little one growing right alongside the life that is growing and blooming outside! God is good!

[Daffodils for Rafe David]

8 comments:

  1. how wonderful!!! God bless your new little one and all of your family!! what beautiful pictures! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...he is just precious! So perfect and bright-eyed! A big congratulations to you and your family! It is so sweet that the children want to hold him. :) God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congratulations, Cheryl! :)

      Delete
  3. How lovely! He is beautiful and perfect. I love his name. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly, thank you! So glad you like his name, too!

      Delete
  4. Laura,

    Many congratulations to you and your lovely family! Rafe is such a handsome little chap -- what a blessing that he came healthy and early (imagine how big he might have been if he had been on time! On second thought, maybe you shouldn't think about that... ;-). What a perfect time of year to welcome a new life!

    I can't believe how much your littles have grown -- the girls, especially! I pray that your recovery will continue to go well, and that the transition to life as a family of 6 will be as smooth as possible.

    So happy for you all!

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shannon! Yes, I was a little concerned about his size if he went full term since I know boys tend to be bigger... but actually both my boys ended up being my smallest babies! (But born the earliest, too.)

      Thanks so much for your prayers!

      Delete