Sunday, May 11, 2014

My grandmothers

I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful, godly mothers in my life -- not just my own mom, but my two grandmas and my mother-in-law as well! My grandmas both raised their families of four children in the 1950s -- Grandma Ackerman (mom's mom) started her family while serving as a missionary in Honduras, and Grandma Marilyn (dad's mom) while living with her Navy husband on the island of Guam. My parents are both the second-born children (just like me).

Grandma Ackerman is probably the most cheerful, most joyful lady I know. Her life is not without trials -- especially losing her beloved husband six years ago -- but I have seen her choosing joy in difficult circumstances. She is full of energy in showing kindness to others. A reputation that's developed over the years is one for good food and hospitality. Serving in the kitchen is one of her ways of showing love and I have many delicious recipes shared by her. Grandma Ackerman is friendly, kind-hearted, and generous.

Grandma
[Glamorous Grandma A. in 1942]

Grandma
[Grandma A. with her first two children]

Grandma Marilyn passed on to me her love of books and libraries. She has a taste for beautiful touches -- when she first met my mom, it was on a fancy family picnic complete with glass goblets! She is an artful decorator and flower arranger. She is adventurous, always mastering new technologies as they come (she had an iPhone before I did!). Grandma Marilyn was raised by a single mother who struggled with depression, but has not given in to complaining or bitterness about life's difficulties. She has a beautiful voice and I love to hear her singing.

Grandma
[Grandma Marilyn with her firstborn son]

Grandma
[Grandma Marilyn with my dad as a toddler]

I'm so thankful for these beautiful ladies who love God and faithfully proclaimed the Gospel to their children, so that I too could someday know my savior, Jesus Christ! Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations... Deuteronomy 7:9

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to two godly women, who I like very much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we must treasure the legacies and the heritage bestowed to us. These are the firm foundations that make up who we are. I am working on my own tribute to the influential women in my family tree that have shaped my own life. Thanks for sharing. You have Ackerman's eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what beautiful photos! Such a precious legacy from your grandmas. I love to hear stories of inspiring ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post, thanks for sharing, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm especially drawn to how calm and peaceful these precious ladies look in the pictures. They have gone through hard times, but remain so composed and elegant. I bet it's the clothes. ;) They're lovely.

    ReplyDelete